Monday, January 24, 2011

Completed Door


Here is the final version of the door that I was working on.  Overall, I am very happy with the piece.  My plan through all of it was to learn how to use plaster bandages and I definitely succeeded in that.  Beyond that, it was just a ton of fun to make something with my hands again.  Because of the program that I am in, most of my time is spent either on the computer or pouring over books and making something that required the use of my entire body felt wonderful.  The photo was projected and was accompanied by the song A Plague of Frost (In the Guise of Diamonds) by a band called Aarktica.  

I'm still figuring out how to embed audio files on here but if you Google the title, there's a few different sites that will let you listen to it.  It's a very ethereal track that everyone in critique thought went well with what I was trying to convey.  It also has a slightly personal connection because the main member of the project, John DeRosa suffers from extreme hearing loss in his right ear and I suffer from hearing loss in my left.  I've always wondered if I hear what he does or something at least closer than what most people with "normal" hearing are experience when listening to his music.

There are some final touches I want to do on the sculpture and eventually, I'm going to photograph it with film.  Because of time constraints, I had to use my Nikon D200 but I still think it came out pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment